This quiche was warm, golden and delicious. You want to know the secret?
You can make it with whatever leftovers you have in your fridge :) Yay!
I was actually trying to come up with a fancy title for this quiche but then realized it’s actually such a versatile recipe! I decided to make mine with leftovers of grilled sausage and sweet red peppers. But if you replace sausage with bacon (ekhmmmm yum!) or add no meat at all – I am sure it will be delicious as well! :) Below is the recipe I used for my version that you see on the pictures…but I want you to be creative and enjoy making it with your favourite ingredients. Just try to keep the egg/cream/cheese ratio as indicated but for the rest I am sure you will prepare a fantastic quiche! Enjoy! :)
- 250g spelt flour*
- 1 tsp salt
- 150g butter
- 1 egg
- 2 sweet red peppers
- 100g grilled sausage (I used Polish sausage - kiełbasa Śląska)
- 4 – 5 eggs
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 80g of feta cheese (cut into small cubes)**
- 125g mozzarella cheese (shredded into small pieces)
- 100g double cream or Greek yoghurt
- 2 – 3 tbs cut fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp smoked sweet paprika powder + ½ tsp spicy paprika powder (optional)
- Place flour, butter and salt into food processor and pulse until you get small crumbs. Add egg and process the dough until it starts coming together.
- Take the dough out, shape it into a ball, flatten it, wrap in cling film and place into the fridge for 1 hour.
- If you are using the sausage - cut it into smaller pieces and fry in a pan until golden brown.
- If you are using the sweet red peppers - pre-heat the oven to 230°C. Cut the peppers in halves and take out the core and seeds. Place them (skin side up) on a baking sheet and bake until the skin begins to turn black. Take it out of the oven and wrap in aluminum foil and leave to rest. After about 10min take the baked peppers out of the foil, peel the skin off and cut into ca. 2cm pieces. Note: if there’s any juice that has come out from the peppers – keep it! You can add it later to the filling as well :)
- Grease a 26cm tart tin with butter. Take the dough out of the fridge and roll it out to a diameter slightly larger than your tin (with thickness ca. 3mm). Gently place the dough onto the tin and push it slightly to the sides of the tin. Prick the bottom few times with a fork and place the tin in the fridge for 10min (until your oven warms up).
- Pre-heat your oven to 190°C. Take the tin with quiche dough out of the fridge and cover (bottom and sides) with aluminum foil. Place evenly baking beans on top and blind bake the dough for 15min. Next take off the foil together with baking beans and bake the dough for another 13min, until slightly golden in colour. Take it out of the oven and turn the temperature down to 180 °C.
- In a large bowl whisk eggs and season with salt and pepper. Add sausage, sweet red pepper, feta and mozzarella cheese, double cream and fresh cilantro. Mix everything gently together. Finally add smoked & spicy paprika to the egg mixture (optional but will give the quiche a nice flavour).
- Pour the egg mixture over the baked spelt dough. Make sure you evenly distribute all the ingredients.
- Place quiche in the oven and bake for 30min until golden brown. Enjoy! :)
- *you can also make this quiche dough with all-purpose or wholemeal flour
- **you can also use goat's cheese or Camembert