Those of you who follow me on Instagram already know that I loooove waffles :)
Basically, a weekend without waffles or pancakes is not really a weekend haha! Since I got my first waffle making machine about two years ago I’ve tried a number of different recipes to find “the perfect one”. I’ve tested some really good recipes but I’ve been always thinking – this can taste even better. Until one day I bough Mimi Thorisson’s book ‘A Kitchen in France’ and saw a recipe for “Old fashioned waffles” and I thought: hmmmmmm…why not, let’s try this. Boy oh boy was it worth it! I had a feeling this can be a great recipe as I had already tried Mimi’s pancakes with orange flower water and salted butter caramel which were ah-mazing…but this waffles are simply divine!
They are everything you want in waffles – they are crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside but most importantly they are so tasty that all you need (or might want) to add is a sprinkle of powdered sugar :) Go ahead…try making these waffles…I know you want to….
For more of Mimi’s amazing recipes I highly recommend getting her book ‘A Kitchen in France’ or ‘French Country Cooking’.
- 1 ½ cups/375 ml whole milk
- 2 tsp/10 g crumbled fresh yeast*
- 2 tbsp fine granulated sugar
- 2 cups/240 g all-purpose flour, sifted
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 7 tbsp /100 g unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons dark rum (optional but if you do have some it’s worth to add imo :) )
- A pinch of fine salt
- Powdered sugar, for serving
- Warm 2 tablespoons of milk until lukewarm and mix with yeast and sugar in a small bowl. Let sit until frothy for about 5 minutes.
- Sift flour into a large bowl and make a well in the center. Mix the yeast mixture into the flour, and then gradually whisk in the rest of milk, egg yolks, melted butter, rum (optional) and salt until you have a smooth batter.
- With an electric mixer whisk egg whites until stiff, then using a rubber spatula gently fold them into the batter. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Cook the waffles according to your waffle maker’s instructions.
- Server warm and dust with powdered sugar before serving.
- *I used 1/2 tsp of instant yeast and the waffles were also delicious :)