If you make these cookies once, you will make them over and over again, I promise you! :)
There’s no Christmas for me without these amazing gingerbread cookies. It is truly my favourite recipe. The cookies are literally made & baked in no-time, they hold their shape and they taste amazing!
Even kids love them! Not to mention how fun it is to decorate them :)
Baking these cookies will surely put you right in the Christmas jolly mood so let’s get baking!
Oh and one final thought – should you decide to bake these lovely gingerbread cookies, please do share the photos with me…I would love to see your gingerbread creations! :)
- ¼ cup of honey
- 80g of butter
- ½ cup of fine brown sugar (regular icing sugar is also fine)
- 1 egg
- 2 ¼ cup of regular flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1,5 – 2 tablespoon gingerbread spice mix (you can easily make your own, see notes below*)
- Optional: 1 teaspoon cocoa powder (if you like your cookies to have a darker colour)
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Melt honey, butter and sugar in a small saucepan on a low heat and mix until butter has melted and all sugar has dissolved (this is important!). Let it cool down.
- In a bigger bowl mix lightly all remaining ingredients and add the melted honey mixture. Knead the dough by hand or use a kitchen machine. If the dough feels too crumbly, add a bit more honey so that it all comes together. If the dough is too soft, chill it in the fridge – it will help with rolling it out.
- Roll the dough out on a flat-floured surface to about 2mm / 3mm thickness. Cut out your favourite shapes from the dough and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Bake for about 8 to 10 minutes but not longer - cookies baked for too long will be crumbly and will have a bitter taste. Take the cookies out of the oven and let them cool down on a cooling rack.
- Decorate as desired and store in airtight container.
- Gingerbread cookies will soften slightly with time (if there are any left!).
- *To make your own gingerbread spice mix combine the following -
- 2tbsp ground allspice
- 2tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2tbsp ground ginger
- 1tbsp ground cloves
- 1tbsp ground nutmeg
- pinch of black pepper
- Once all ingredients are mixed, store in airtight container.
- **The recipe makes about 50-60 cookies.